You’re on vacation and you want to enjoy every bit of your time off. But when it comes to food, you skid to a halt and let guilt take hold. Everyone likes to indulge in a bit of great cuisine every now and then. But, like me, if you’re a bit of a health freak and watch every calorie, it puts a big dampener on your vacation experience.
It is absolutely silly to not enjoy local cuisine while traveling. You don’t want to think back regretting passing up that delectable steak, chicken curry, or any other popular dish in your vacation destination. The whole idea of a vacation is to enjoy every bit of it – on your plate and off it.
So, I came up with 7 tips to eat without guilt AND to stay healthy:
- Drink a glass of water – Simple, but effective, having a glass of water a little before you eat helps dampen the appetite. This stops you from eating more than you should.
Image courtesy of Kostantin Stepanov on Flickr
- A healthy entrée before the main course – It is guaranteed to take quite an edge off an impending guilt trip.
- Snack healthy – Keep a few healthy snacks handy to munch on them when you feel peckish. We often anticipate a really good meal and build up an appetite. Don’t keep yourself starving all day. You’ll end up gorging – and that is not good for the body nor the mind!
Image courtesy of Jennifer on Flickr
- Stay active – While on vacation – walk whenever possible, swim whenever you can. Go dancing, that sure burns up a lot of cals! There are other more exciting calorie burning activities, choose whatever you feel more comfortable with.
- Tomorrow is good enough – Sometimes some dish is just so unusually delicious, you can’t stop eating it. Know what I mean? Well, I say, savor it with all your heart! You can always compensate the next day. Mañana is good enough for me.
- Unsweetened lime juice – I found that drinking a glass of unsweetened lime juice after a particularly rich meal helps cut fat and aids digestion. (But not for those who suffer from acidity.)
- Don’t worry, be happy – A bit cliched, but believe me, it makes sense! What I find really works for me is the state of mind – just be happy. Guilt and worry interfere with digestion. Too much negative energy there. You want that awesome meal you just ate to be digested. So there – be happy! It works every time, I promise.
You’re on VACATION – which means you take a break from everything that is routine. This is a time to let your hair down, let go and live it up. That should be your vacation mantra.
Let me leave you with a quote that sums up every thing I said above:
"Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship. It is of great importance of the morale." Elsa Schiaparelli
Related articles across the web
- 8 Good Reasons to Start Your Day With Lemon Water
- A vegetarian ‘meat’ for lettuce wraps
- Avocado and Mango Salad
- 10 Fabulous Luxury Experiences in New York City
- 10 Terrific Boutique Hotels in and Around the Rivera Maya, Mexico
- 10 Tours Not to be Missed Around the Riviera Maya, Mexico
- 10 Alluring Jungle Lodges and Resorts in Belize
- 5 Things You Must Experience Around Phi Phi Island, Thailand
- 22 Photos of our Most Memorable Activities and Tours in Belize